Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Resolutions, and Some Thoughts on Them


Here we are, 11 days into the new year, and I have only just arrived at what I'll consider, for lack of a better word, my "resolutions." Having set - and failed at completing - any number of your traditional goals  for the past few years, I had originally intended not to set a resolution. After all, aren't most of us just setting ourselves up for failure? How many times have I pledged to "work out every day", or - okay, that's actually usually my resolution. Clearly, because it's always been my resolution, I never got very far in resolving it. 

That's the problem I have with resolutions - I've never really succeeded at them. Perhaps I've always put too much pressure on myself when I didn't do it for a few days. Part of me hates failure [okay, all of me], and often I'd rather give up entirely than admit that I failed to achieve something perfectly. I realize, in writing this, that to ultimately fail entirely is much, much worse than encountering a few bumps along the way. But that's how I've always been - choosing not to pursue something rather than face the fact that I am, in fact, not perfect, and that there are people better than me, and that I will not succeed at every single thing I attempt.

This is not intended to be a depressing post, I promise. Through all of this introspection I have concluded that I'd rather not live the rest of my life this way. I'm 25, healthy, reasonably attractive, reasonably talented at a few things, intelligent, with a good job, great family & friends, and a fantastic boyfriend. There's no reason for me to sit and think, "Oh, why can't I be like so-and-so, who succeeded at this-thing-or-the-other for no other reason than she decided she wanted to, and so she did. I don't have enough ______ to do that." Actually, I have all the time in the world, and rather than spend the time worrying over why I didn't do something, or how to go about doing it just the right way, I might as well just go ahead and do it!

And now, you wonder what my goals are. That, my friends, is for another post. Just to keep you interested.

PS. I know it's not 2009, and that it's 2012. I just like this picture best out of all my NYE pictures.

No comments: