Tuesday, November 22, 2011

When I Discovered Indiana's Not-so-bad

A few weekends ago I headed with a certain boy to Lafayette, Indiana to visit his family and also to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Tippecano. Which, for those of you unfamiliar with this particular battle, or just need to be reminded (as I did), here's a summary. I was going to lay it out for you, but then I remembered I'm trying to keep my blog posts short. So you'll have to read it yourself.

I have always, always, always loved these windmills. Justin's father says they are a blight on the countryside. If you're from the country, maybe that's true. But I think I love how industrial, yet also how sexy (if you can call a windmill sexy) they are.

I have two things to say about this:
1. Look at how gigantic this bottle is. Seriously, look. 
2. That Chocovine stuff is delicious. You might think it's gross (chocolate and red wine) but it's actually quite tasty. It tastest more like a coffee liquor (think Bailey's or Kahlua) than anyting else.

You know, requisite. In the back there is the cabin Justin's great grandparents built way back in the day, and is still used for family vacations. Running water from a pump, no bathroom (think outhouse), etc. Spiders everywhere. Totally my kind of living....

But this is the view if you sit on the bench in front of the house. Not so bad, yea?

Very cute and country. If I had a house in the wilderness I'd like to have a swing like this.

Does this help you to remember that battle? Or at least the slogan? This phrase is the only thing I associate with Tippecanoe. It is so memorable - really quite the campaign slogan, even in 1812.

See, Indiana's not so bad. 

Perhaps Justin's future career.

That's the Tippecanoe memorial graveyard, where all the reenactors camped out. Teensy bit creepy if you ask me.


He really hates when I take pictures. That's why I do it.

Some reenactors. That's all I have to say about that.

So, my trip to Indiana was fun because it involved family, fall, fun, history, and most importantly, chocolate wine.

What, you don't think that's the most important part?

This might be:


No comments: