Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wild Wild West

If you have not read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry: do it. Go check it out from the library, today. It is definitely one of the best books I have read this year, if not ever. It has all the required ingredients for a book-you-can't-put-down: romance, outlaws, cowboys, adventure, and even some thoughtful commentary on society thrown in. Yes, it is a daunting book at almost 1000 pages, but when you reach the end you will wish it was 1000 more.

I did, so I went out immediately and bought the sequel! Streets of Laredo is definitely not as epic, just as most sequels fail to be since the magic of the first encounter is lost in the transition between plots. In any case, it still has all those elements that make it a page-turner.

I never thought I would like westerns, but I've realized I definitely do. somehow I have fallen in love with the old west. It might have a lot to do with the nature of my job and the scenic surroundings I am often amidst when I read these novels.

Go. Read it. And tell me what you think. And if you have any new reading suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I will need it soon...

Published with Blogger-droid v1.3.6

No comments: