Wednesday, July 23, 2008

perfect

I think the greatest joy I have experienced this summer came today when Madison told her mom how her day was.

"Madison, how was your day sweetie?"
"Perfect, mom. Great, just fantastic."

Earlier:

"I am having so much fun with you I don't want you to go!"

That, right there, is what makes me love my job and makes getting up every day at 7:50 to be there at 8:00 worth it as soon as I walk in the door. That's what makes the days fly by (and of course playing SingStar...I mean it's not like I'm not getting anything out of these play times), and that's what makes me sad to leave them in a few weeks.

I think this week is my last week, and while I will enjoy sleeping in...I would almost rather have to get up at 7:50 every day for the rest of the summer to be able to see my kids. Even if Lauren screams in my ear, even if Peyton won't go down for a nap all day, even if Madison and Connor constantly kick each other, even if I never shower (okay...I do shower people...)

I would gladly be there from 8 to 5 every day if it meant I could make even one more day "perfect." And see Peyton and Lauren smile at me like me walking through that door was the best thing that ever happened to them. (I wish I could capture it for the whole world to see. It would melt your heart.)

Now I realize what makes parenting all worth the headaches, tears, tantrums, drama, and money-drain...

the children.



(When did I become such a sap? Don't worry...no children for me anytime soon. For now I'll watch others' children from 8 to 5 and then leave when they start to get really cranky, eating other peoples' food, playing their PlayStation games and watching their Starz channels. Best job ever? I think so.) 

No comments: