Saturday, May 24, 2008

babies babies babies

This summer I am nannying for four children: twins age 9, boy and girl, and twins age 4 mos, girls. The older twins are at school still during the day so I only walk them to the bus stop and entertain them for half an hour when they get home from school.

Twins, age 4 mos, however, are a different story. I love babies, I really do. They nap from 9-11 and 1-4, which is pretty much most of the day, so initially I was like sweet, best. job. ever. That is before my second day. On that second day Lauren awoke from her afternoon nap at 1:30. That is 2.5 hours before she was supposed to awaken. She. would. not. go. back. to. sleep. As is natural for a mom, 4 kids, dad in Iraq, in law school, Michelle has a very strict schedule for the children. This is not part of the schedule. And, Lauren CRIED. No, she WAILED. For more than an hour. I love her, I do, but it is quite frustrating for children to wail for an hour and you have no idea what to do. Everything I tried did not soothe her. This happened again yesterday. I CANNOT do that all summer. It is very trying on my emotions, and physically as well. To hold a baby for hours at a time is not easy.

Hopefully this three day weekend her mom will be able to get her back on schedule. Lauren is a sweetie but she needs her afternoon nap and I need my sanity. Not to mention her mom.

In other news, I am pretty sure I will have the best muscles by the end of the summer. Try holding two babies for a considerable portion of the day as well as pushing two babies in a heavy stroller up hills twice a day every day. Sweet, sweet muscles.

I also LOVE free samples at costco. Best deal going, according to my dad.

1 comment:

Maggie Thomas said...

i just want you to know that even as a seasoned nanny, i can only empathize with your plight. i love you - hang in there.