Sunday, June 6, 2010

Independents

I've found my movie-going niche: documentaries and independent films. Now, before you think I've gone all cynicalmoviecritic on you - just hear me out. The past two weekends I have gone with one of my lovely friends SBB to see two [2] fantastic movies: one [1] documentary and one [1] fantastically whimsical independent film. I enjoyed both movie-going experiences more than I have in years - more than any big-blockbuster hit featuring those A-list, US-Weekly celebrities [which I still love, don't get me wrong...] that I've seen in quite some time. Perhaps it's the company :), perhaps it's the idea of doing something semi-subversive, original, different, perhaps it's because it stimulates the intellectual/theoretical side of my brain which I so recently [see last post] discovered absolutely needs stimulating for me to be that happy, healthy person I strive to become. Whatever the reason, I enjoyed my indie-filmgoing so much that I might just be persuaded to quit the big-budget-blockbuster habit all together.

Of course, we both know that probably won't happen, seeing that I saw Avatar twice in the theater and paid for the 3D price both times. Just let me be dramatic for the sake of argument. 

I'm going to tell you about these two films because, well, I think you should see them, especially if you have any interested in the [ahem] higher art forms. :) The first film we saw was Exit Through the Gift Shop, a documentary film by the street artist Banksy. If you don't know who Banksy is, look him up. Scroll through his work. It is the perfect combination of humor, political commentary, irony [political irony?], and genuinely excellent artwork. I am endlessly entertained by the images, and it's now my dream to stumble across Banksy work when walking down the street. [If it happened in London, that would just be convenient.] I recognize that some might say I'm a little behind on the Banksy, street-art phenomenon, but I could care less.

The film was a fascinating commentary on art, the art world, and public hype and perception of art. I would even go so far as to say Banksy questions the meaning of art. I don't want to give away the ending, but if you've seen it, and you're interested to know more - talk to me! It's my new favorite thing to think about/reasearch/discuss. Plus, the film features other street artists like Shepard Fairey, the man behind that iconic portrait of President Obama which sparked such controversy. Just go see it.

Because I know my posts can be [seemingly] never-ending, I'll tell you about the second film at a later date. In the meantime, go see Exit Through the Gift Shop. And talk to me about it.

No comments: