Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sometimes, I really hate running...

September 12, 2010, 7:30am : this begins my journey to conquer my hatred and to accomplish something I've always said was not for me:
"I don't run that fast."
"I really, really hate running outside."
"I have asthma."
"What would I even think about during that time?"
"That's so EARLY!"
And...most importantly...
"I don't think I can finish."

A few days ago I, with my lovely and fellow slow-ish runner friend Sara Beth, decided to take that plunge and ultimately defy the statement that we can't do it, once and for all.

We are going to run the Chicago Half-Marathon!
[Even as I say this, the fact that it's only half makes me a teensy bit sad, with all that buildup...but for us [well at least me, I can't speak for SBB] to run 13.1 miles is indeed a MAJOR MAJOR feat.]



I know this will be hard - one of the hardest things I have ever done, just because I really have never been a runner, and I do have exercise induced asthma. But I'm not running for time - just to finish. It's along Chicago's BEAUTIFUL lakeshore, with one of my best friends, at the [supposedly] prime of my life. If there's a time to do it - it's now!

I have trained for things before [and 8K, to be exact] - and then decided I didn't want to run it. The same goes for the 5K that I paid for and then decided not to run. But I can't do this with the half because the price goes SIGNIFICANTLY upwards, to the tune of $70. If I don't run this one, that will be one expensive tshirt! [Which, by the way, is one of the reasons I am running this. I mean, only about...10% of the reason.]


So. I might post about this in the coming weeks, even though training doesn't officially start until the end of June. But I will need all of the support I can get!

And by, how great will that fill when it is done. :)

If YOU are at all interested in running with me, here's the link! But sign up fast!

1 comment:

trisha said...

So excited for you! That race was so fun...and it sure does feel great when you cross that finish line, accomplishing something you didn't think you could do. I'm so proud of you...and will be cheering for you from Jordan!